French Onion Soup
Cold weather requires comfort food that gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling in your belly. And what better than the classic French Onion soup, with its caramelized onions and oozing with cheese! Whether you enjoy the hearty bowl all by yourself or share it with someone, it's always a delight.
- 4 cups of sliced onions
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon
- 6 slices of French bread, cubed
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onions in margarine until tender and caramelized. Sprinkle in flour, stirring constantly.
- Add beef bouillon and water, stir well and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour soup into oven proof bowls, add French bread on top of soup in each bowl and then cover generously with mozzarella cheese. Place bowl under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Recipe courtesy of Country Recipe Book