Chase away the last of the winter blues with this warm and comforting braised chicken dish! This recipe features seasonal vegetables of early spring such as carrots, broccoli, and leeks, all cooked up in one pan to make an easy and healthy dinner.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4-6 chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 8 slices (about 125 grams or a quarter-pound) streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (150 ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (150 ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (200 grams) small or chopped carrots
- 1 cup (200 grams) broccoli
- 1 tablespoon butter or oil
- 1 cup small leeks, sliced
- Fresh or dried parsley for topping
- In a large, shallow frying pan or skillet (you need one with a fitted lid), heat your oil. Season your chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and then sear the chicken, skin side down in the hot oil. Leave the chicken for about 5 minutes to brown before flipping it over and searing the other side to brown.
- After your chicken has seared on both sides, push the chicken to one side of the pan and fry your chopped bacon for a few minutes until golden. Add the minced garlic. When the bacon is cooked, spread the chicken around the pan evenly again.
- Slowly pour in the chicken stock and the wine and stir briefly and bring to a simmer. Cover and let the stock and wine simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the carrots and broccoli and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- In a small frying pan, melt your butter or heat your oil. Add your sliced leeks to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes until the leeks soften. Stir them in and leave the chicken uncovered for about 5 minutes. Once the carrots and broccoli are tender and the chicken has an internal temperature of at least 160°F/71°C, remove from heat, scatter with parsley and serve.
Recipe courtesy of A Saucy Kitchen.